Re: FreeBSD panics with 64GiB of RAM

From: Attila Nagy <bra_at_fsn.hu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 14:19:42 +0100
Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jan 2009, Attila Nagy wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've already tried something similar. The effect of the patch is this:
>> http://people.fsn.hu/~bra/freebsd/20090107-freebsd-x4540/Screenshot-70.png
>>

>> BTW, this:
>> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/200812/8.0-CURRENT-200812-amd64-bootonly.iso
>>
>> boots up fine (to sysinstall).
>> I haven't installed FreeBSD for years (I'm using netboot), is this i386?
>> That could explain the situation.
>
> I'm confused.  That link is a snapshot of amd64 -CURRENT from
> December. The first email in this thread said you were trying -CURRENT
> anmd64 and it wasn't working.
>
> So, which ones work and which don't?  Are we looking at a regression
> since December or has this been fixed between whatever image you first
> tested and the December snapshot?

The saga continues.

With:
*default release=cvs tag=.
*default date=2008.03.07.00.00.00

the machine gets over the pxeboot and loads kernel, then panics with this:
http://people.fsn.hu/~bra/freebsd/20090107-freebsd-x4540/Screenshot-70.png

With:
*default date=2008.04.12.00.00.00
it freezes in this stage:
http://people.fsn.hu/~bra/freebsd/20090107-freebsd-x4540/Screenshot-6.png

03.11 gave a stackdump loop (BTX halted, register states scrolling
endlessly), earlier ones can boot but crash with "kernel trap 12 with
interrupts disabled" (see above).

Any chance for somebody to look into this issue?