Re: FreeBSD panics with 64GiB of RAM

From: Attila Nagy <bra_at_fsn.hu>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 22:17:48 +0100
Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jan 2009, Attila Nagy wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've already tried something similar. The effect of the patch is this:
>> http://people.fsn.hu/~bra/freebsd/20090107-freebsd-x4540/Screenshot-70.png
>>

>> BTW, this:
>> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/200812/8.0-CURRENT-200812-amd64-bootonly.iso
>>
>> boots up fine (to sysinstall).
>> I haven't installed FreeBSD for years (I'm using netboot), is this i386?
>> That could explain the situation.
>
> I'm confused.  That link is a snapshot of amd64 -CURRENT from
> December. The first email in this thread said you were trying -CURRENT
> anmd64 and it wasn't working.
>
> So, which ones work and which don't?  Are we looking at a regression
> since December or has this been fixed between whatever image you first
> tested and the December snapshot?
The screenshots were made with an up to date (at that point of course)
8-CURRENT.
But I've tried to boot with the snapshot ISO, which boots fine.

this point:
http://people.fsn.hu/~bra/freebsd/20090107-freebsd-x4540/Screenshot-6.png
- 8-CURRENT, booting with an older pxeloader panics with this:
http://people.fsn.hu/~bra/freebsd/20090107-freebsd-x4540/Screenshot-55.png
- the 640kB patch panics with this (8-CURRENT, older pxeloader):
http://people.fsn.hu/~bra/freebsd/20090107-freebsd-x4540/Screenshot-70.png
- with safe mode, I get this (8-CURRENT, older pxeloader, apparently no
NICs recognized):
http://people.fsn.hu/~bra/freebsd/20090107-freebsd-x4540/Screenshot-78-safemode.png
- the December snapshot ISO with CD-ROM redirection boots fine, and it
seems the SMAP is OK too:
http://people.fsn.hu/~bra/freebsd/20090107-freebsd-x4540/Screenshot-78-fbsd8-amd64-livefs.png

According to these, I think my problem is the pxeloader's inability to
boot on this machine. An older one can't boot because of the
memory-related difference, a newer one can not boot because of another
changes, happening in-between.

Somebody please help. :)

I don't know if there is a version, which can get to the loader prompt
AND initialize what need to be initialized correctly to overcome the
SMAP-panic.