Re: Re: Problems with ata driver on current / Asus P5Q-E

From: <scott.gasch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 23:03:51 +0000
Hi Oliver,

Thanks for the reply. I'm running bios version 02.61 American Megatrends
Inc; it has never been updated. I just got the latest image (1703) from
ASUS and will try flashing it.

I don't have my controller set on RAID because I don't want hardware
RAID... it's set on AHCI instead. Maybe this is the difference. Are you
doing hardware RAID?

I'm still looking over your config and dmesg, thanks for sending those.
I'll report back if I figure anything out.

Thx,
Scott

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=709&l4=0&model=2267&modelmenu=2

> /* sorry for bad english */
>

> On 1/24/09, Scott Gasch scott.gasch_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > I've been running a 7.1-p1 (amd64) system and and seeing very high
interrupt

> > rates on irq19 which is shared between several devices. Over 60% of one
>
> > core is used responding to interrupts. The machine also hangs
frequently.

> > irq19 is shared by atapci1, atapci2, fwohci0 and uhci4...
>
> > the consensus response to my last question was that "it's probably the
ata

> > driver".
>

> > Today I tried building and booting a GENERIC current kernel and got
another

> > piece of information. The freebsd-current GENERIC kernel does not boot;
>
> > shortly after probing the drives it says "Cannot setup DMA" several
times on

> > the console and hangs.
>

> > This machine is an Asus P5Q-E... I believe it has two ATA controllers:
>
> > a Marvell
>
> > 88SE6121 and a Silicon Image SIL5723. Is one of these chipsets
generating

> > interrupts that the driver doesn't understand and/or properly dismiss?
Can