Re: Alternatives to gcc (was Re: gcc 4.3: when will it becomestandard compiler?)

From: Pedro F. Giffuni <giffunip_at_tutopia.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 15:22:04 -0800 (PST)
--- On Sat, 1/31/09, Mark Linimon <linimon_at_lonesome.com> wrote:

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 01:08:54PM -0800, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> > The effort didn't go far enough. Why haven't we removed GNU readline ?
>
> Probably either because someone hasn't written a BSD-licensed one, or
> someone hasn't done the work to test-compile src and ports on all the
> appropriate architectures.

Wrong on both:

- libedit has a readline compatibility mode that has replaced GNU readline in the other BSDs.
- If you look in the archives you will find patches.

If there really was any effort to remove GPL'd stuff from the tree it missed this big time: GNU readline is a library under the GPL (not LGPL), it should be dead long ago.

Now, after running the lang/gcc43 "make check" on my amd64 I don't really understand why we would be in a hurry to update to it.

Pedro.