Re: RFC: powerd Patch & proposed future changes

From: Erich Dollansky <erich_at_apsara.com.sg>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 08:15:32 +0800
Hi,

On 06 July 2009 pm 15:22:58 Rene Schickbauer wrote:

> Would it also make sense to have powerd run an (optional) user
> configureable script on ac state change? I'm thinking about
> things like dimming TFT backlight, on EEE PC turning of the
> webcam and so on.

I did some work on powerd to regulate the speed better but never
finished it. Let me share my experience.

Yes, it makes sense that powerd is enabled to run external
programs triggered by events powerd has to monitor.

I would not limit it to AC/DC changes. powerd could also run
external programs when falling below a certain speed and coming
back above a certain speed again.

This would allow also to dim the LCD when less power is used
because notbody is using the screen. It might will not make sense
for most uses but for some.

powerd's main idea is to save energy. Allowing a second program to
parse through a file is not what will save energy.

Erich