Re: RFC: powerd Patch & proposed future changes

From: Aragon Gouveia <aragon_at_phat.za.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 05:58:27 +0200
Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Yes, it makes sense that powerd is enabled to run external
> programs triggered by events powerd has to monitor.
>
> I would not limit it to AC/DC changes. powerd could also run
> external programs when falling below a certain speed and coming
> back above a certain speed again.
>
> This would allow also to dim the LCD when less power is used
> because notbody is using the screen. It might will not make sense
> for most uses but for some.

Can you think of a better example?  LCD dimming can already by handled
by Xorg's DPMS.  And LCD dimming and CPU usage are not directly related.
  If I walk away from a port compiling, I don't want powerd to keep my
LCD on because the CPU is at 100%.

> powerd's main idea is to save energy. Allowing a second program to
> parse through a file is not what will save energy.

Neither will constant spawning of new processes.

JMHO.

Regards,
Aragon