Re: RFC: ATA to CAM integration patch (and gjournaled previuos nodes)

From: Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer_at_omnilan.de>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 20:49:25 +0200
Alexander Motin schrieb am 05.07.2009 09:18 (localtime):
>> Can I safely remove glabel from the unmounted fs and relabel the new
>> device?
>
> I don't very understand whet you mean by "safe"? Safe for what?

I tuned off journaling in UFS and removed the journal from the
partition. Although gjournal told me that the existing filesystem will
be destroyed this didn't happen since I did the newfs on the .journal
partition originally.
That's what I meant as "safe". In theory it was clear that I can safely
relabel the partition, but I was not sure if I understood everything
correctly.

So far I have not had any problems with ahci, works great! (ich9)
At least with HDs, haven't tested ODDs yet. (I'm having burning problems
for a long time so I'm not used to use ODDs with FreeBSD)

One thing I'm missing is the possibility to spin down the drive.
I have my system on a SSD, the HD is just for ports nad stuff which
usually I don't make use of.
Is that planned to be integrated?

Another question is why "camcontrol tur ada0" returns "Unit is not ready"
readcap also doesn't work.
My SSD reports write and read cache present, but disabled. Is the report
or the status bad?
camcontrol iden ada0
pass1: <OCZ SOLID SSD 02.10104> ATA/ATAPI-8 SATA 2.x device

Protocol              SATA revision 2.x
device model          OCZ SOLID SSD
serial number         MK0508480C17B0004
firmware revision     02.10104
cylinders             16383
heads                 16
sectors/track         63
lba supported         62586880 sectors
lba48 not supported
dma supported
overlap not supported

Feature                      Support  Enable    Value           Vendor
write cache                    yes	no
read ahead                     yes	no
Native Command Queuing (NCQ)   no	 -	0/0x00
Tagged Command Queuing (TCQ)   no	no	0/0x00
SMART                          yes	yes
microcode download             no	no
security                       no	no
power management               yes	yes
advanced power management      no	no	0/0x00
automatic acoustic management  no	no	254/0xFE	128/0x80

Thansk for your great work so far!

Best regards,

-Harry