Re: dtrace users opinion solicited (timestamps)

From: Andriy Gapon <avg_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 08:45:33 +0300
on 09/07/2009 22:39 David Schultz said the following:
> Doesn't Solaris DTRT and compensate for TSC frequency changes?
> Why can't we do the same thing?

That very well may be. I haven't thoroughly checked but I think that even we are
 doing the right thing when we use TSC as a timecounter.
But at this moment I am looking for a quick/simple and "sufficiently good" fix
for the bigger problems with DTrace timestamping (kern/127441).

Another side of the "simplicity" is that the timestamp function for DTrace needs
to be fast and should not itself be probed.

--
Andriy Gapon