Re: 8.0-BETA1 bsdlabel broken?

From: Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt_at_mac.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 13:39:03 -0700
On Jul 11, 2009, at 11:15 AM, Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:

> OK, the attached patch should solve the issue in the bsdlabel:
> it really uses the offset of the 'c' partition to make offsets
> to be relative.

Yes, that's the idea. I would add a safety check though:
even though the 'c' partition is defined and reserved to
mean the whole disk, there's nothing preventing creative
souls from using the 'c' partition for something else. I
would add a check to make sure that the offset of the 'c'
partition is less than or equal to any of the offsets in
the partition table before subtracting.

>> As a special warning: you should not have both GEOM_PART_BSD
>> and GEOM_BSD. My gut feeling tells me that you have both and
>> that's why you have the mess you're having.
>
> Then I would add a bit stronger warning about the GEOM_BSD into
> /usr/src/UPDATING -- the current one (from 20090320) is rather mild in
> respect of the obsoletenness of GEOM_BSD.  And since GEOM_PART_*
> seem to
> be included by-default, it will produce the mess I had seen when
> GEOM_BSD is included too.  It will be good to embed the checks for
> incompatible options into config(8).  I'll draft the needed patches
> for config(8).

I think It's better to remove the options (and code) altogether.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt_at_mac.com