Re: Disk devices changed after upgrade to current

From: Alson van der Meulen <alson+ml_at_alm.flutnet.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 08:59:28 +0200
* Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.current_at_mailing.thruhere.net> [2009-07-13 08:31]:
> glabel will warn if the last sector is not empty.

Does it also shrink the (now) underlying fs? Or is it just a matter of time
until the label is overwritten when the fs gets full?

If it's an UFS partition, using an UFS volume label is an alternative
solution. It also requires you to unmount the partition, but can simply
be set on an existing fs with tunefs.

> By definition, new installs are not affected by upgrade surprises. The
> surprise here that sliceless disks, have their 's1' dropped when upgrading
> from 7 to 8.x and using labels would eliminate this surprise and any future
> change in disk naming conventions.

If I'd have to install a system today, I'd probably install 7.2-R, and
it would get upgraded to 8.x-R at some point in the future. Regarding
the issue at hand, a current install with sysinstall will not use DDD
AFAIK, so it will not run into this particular problem.

Alson