Re: booting from label inside GPT partition / EFI loader for amd64?

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 08:36:51 -0400
On Tuesday 14 July 2009 11:57:00 am Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to boot (load the loader) from ad4p2a. Should that be possible?
> gptboot claims "no UFS filesystem found" and the ordinary bootcode just
> prints Boot Error.
>
> I have an intel i386 server board which supports EFI booting, but I
> think I cannot use the ia64 efi loader, right?
> Is there any development bits I can try making my server EFI booting?

Err, you souldn't have a ad4p2a if you are using gptboot.  gptboot expects you
to create separate GPT partitions for each UFS filesystem and swap rather
than putting a BSD label inside of a GPT partition.  EFI for amd64/i386 is
not yet supported.  There is some work in a p4 branch to build a 32-bit EFI
loader.

--
John Baldwin