gmirror provider name limit [Was: Re: geom_label: gpt/labelname for gmirror provider?]

From: Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer_at_omnilan.de>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 09:43:16 +0200
Harald Schmalzbauer schrieb am 14.07.2009 20:08 (localtime):
> Ivan Voras schrieb am 14.07.2009 19:15 (localtime):
>> If it's something else, please explain with more details.
>
> Sorry for my bad explanation!
> I'm using
> `gpart modify -l part1disk1 -i 2 ad4`
> and
> `gpart modify -l part1disk2 -i 2 ad6`
> so I have
> /dev/gpt/part1disk1
> and
> /dev/gpt/part1disk2
>
> Now I want to use these as providers for geom_mirror:
> `gmirror label -b load MIRROR1 gpt/part1disk2 gpt/part1disk2`
>
> gmirror prints that metadata was successfully written (to provider
> gpt/part1diskX) but in fact geom_mirror doesn't jump in and detect the
> mirror.

For the records:
I found that the name of the provider for gmirror mustn't exceed 15
characters. `gmirror` doesn't complain if you specify a provider name
longer that 15 characters, but the mirror won't be detected.
So for example it's impossible to use gptid as provider.
At least this should be documented in the man page(es, I guess this
restriction applies to graid3 etc. also)
Perhaps it's desirable to loosen that restriction. I'm fine with 15
characters, but like mentioned gptid for example may be for some people
a desirable provider name.

Thanks,

-Harry

P.S.: My coding skills don't last for offering a diff...