Joliet and release ISOs?

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 21:56:34 -0700
Do we need Joliet extensions on the release ISOs?

The reason I ask is a little involved:  jkim_at_ recently
pointed out to me that tar in -CURRENT can no longer
extract symlinks from the release ISOs.

I tracked this down to the fact that the release ISOs
have both Joliet and RockRidge extensions and tar now
supports (and actually prefers) Joliet extensions when
it sees them. Joliet doesn't support symlinks, so tar
doesn't see symlinks on disks with both kinds of extensions.

There's a workaround that people can use for now:
     tar xf image.iso --options=!joliet
disables the Joliet support.

I'm curious whether removing the -J option from
/usr/src/release/*/mkisoimages.sh is an option.

In the longer term, I'd like to find a better way for
tar to handle disks that include both kinds of extensions,
but that will take a while to implement.

Tim