Re: Joliet and release ISOs?

From: Kostik Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 12:52:04 +0300
On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 09:56:34PM -0700, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> Do we need Joliet extensions on the release ISOs?
>
> The reason I ask is a little involved:  jkim_at_ recently
> pointed out to me that tar in -CURRENT can no longer
> extract symlinks from the release ISOs.
>
> I tracked this down to the fact that the release ISOs
> have both Joliet and RockRidge extensions and tar now
> supports (and actually prefers) Joliet extensions when
> it sees them. Joliet doesn't support symlinks, so tar
> doesn't see symlinks on disks with both kinds of extensions.
>
> There's a workaround that people can use for now:
>     tar xf image.iso --options=!joliet
> disables the Joliet support.
>
> I'm curious whether removing the -J option from
> /usr/src/release/*/mkisoimages.sh is an option.
Having Joliet is very useful for somebody who reads the CD/DVD on
Windows computer. I think this shall not be changed, favoring novice
(or future) users of FreeBSD there, as opposing of relatively advanced
FreeBSD users, who already know about tar supporting .iso reading, and
can learn --options=!joliet trick.