Re: Getting crashdumps to work (trying to submit crash report)

From: Peter Schuller <peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 22:43:23 +0200
> First question, why do you think that you do not have a dump? Second

Nothing in /var/crash after reboot. I checked with 'savecore' manually
but of course I realize now that this was pretty useless since by that
time swap would have been re-enabled. So really, savecore may have
given some kind of message on boot - I'm not entirely sure to what
extent I checked the messages on boot after the panic.

So I'm not sure what might have been printed during boot this time
around.

Hmm. Is there a good way to simulate a panic so that I can quicky
iterate tweaks until I can be sure I get a dump?

> question, do you have anything in the console log when you boot that
> indicates a problem with savecore? What happens if you run

Possibly but I would probably have missed it this time; previously I
had the "no suitable dump device" on setup, presumably because swap
was a gmirror.

> '/etc/rc.d/savecore start' ?  Finally, I'm assuming throughout that
> your /var/crash directory is on a disk/partition with enough space for
> a dump?

Plenty of space (> 100 gig), though it's on ZFS in case that matters
(but since this is done by savecore rather than special kernel stuff I
was sort of assuming that would not be a problem).

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey_at_scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org