Re: Problematic upgrade from 7.2 to 8.0 with ZFS file system

From: Kip Macy <kmacy_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 17:22:27 -0700
> My only suggestions are improving the freebsd-update tool (is Colin Percival
> reading this?) to give relevant feedback, moving UPDATING to somewhere
> useful for non-source updaters and ensuring the docs clearly state the
> seriousness of this particular issue.

When the import was done, there should have been a minimal compat
layer so that v6 tools wouldn't die when talking to a v13 system. It
is too late for 8.0 to do that, depending on time and complexity I'll
look in to doing that for 7.3.

At this juncture there isn't a convenient stop-gap. Given that there
is no central source to read for individuals updating. I think it
makes sense for freebsd-update to at the very least check if it is
installing on a system running ZFS v6. You'll need to talk to Colin
Percival about his availability to do that.

Cheers,
Kip