Re: questions about 8.0-RELEASE

From: Justin Hibbits <jrh29_at_alumni.cwru.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 09:22:44 -0400
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 3:07 AM, Horst Günther Burkhardt
III<horst_at_sxemacs.org> wrote:
> Ok.
>
> So, I heard it on the 'tubes that 8.0 is in BETA atm, and will rock
> pretty damned hard.
>
> But, I have a few questions, being a PowerPC user, and also having some
> disappointment with the state of things in 7.2 especially on this
> platform.
>
> First, has libm finally had the log2 functions defined in the C99 spec
> added? (this is an issue dating back to 2005, standards/83845 )
>
> Second, I'm aware that altivec support is implemented in -CURRENT, as of
> some months ago, will this be stable enough for release?

I've been compiling everything with altivec for the past few months,
with no problems, and I abuse the hell out of my system, so I can
safely say that it's stable enough for release.  Base won't have it
enabled, but you can enable it for ports in make.conf.

- Justin