Re: library compat for FreeBSD7x

From: Guido Falsi <mad_at_madpilot.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:15:43 +0200
On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 03:06:43PM +0200, Ruben de Groot wrote:

> A new library version usually means ABI changes. So libmap.conf is not a
> failsafe solution. As for leaving the old libraries in an upgraded system,
> that's essentially the same as installing compat?x in a newly installed
> system.

> Yes, that would be hard.
> The obvious solution to this is to not recompile program A on a system with
> the newer library version.

> Sure, but I prefer using ports/packages. Keeps my systems manageable.
>
> Yes, and there's another reason for having compat7x libraries. If you build on
> 7.X-RELEASE and want to test your packages on 8.X, you're going to need them.

I see your point, but I'd rather spend some time and effort when the
bump ha[ppens recompiling everything than fiddle with hacks and compat
libs for months...Maybe we just like doing things dirfferently. Anyway,
as things stand right now it's better to advise people to recompile
everything than risk giving them an advice difficult to follow.

--
Guido Falsi <mad_at_madpilot.net>