Re: RPCPROG_MNT: RPC: Timed out / receiving NFS error when trying to mount NFS file system after make world

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 20:57:06 +0100 (BST)
On Tue, 2 Jun 2009, Rick Macklem wrote:

>> Mounting via '-o nfsv3,tcp' in addition, everthing works all right again. I
>> do not know why udp is invoked automatically by now.
>>
>> But for short, we always did NFS mounts over tcp AND udp, so for tcp it
>> worked again!
>>
> Hmm, weird. udp mounts work here for me (except NFSv4, where tcp is
> required, but you'd only get that if you had used "-o nfsv4" in your mount).
>
> I'll take another look at mount_nfs.c too (already caught a problem I
> introduced in mountd.c). Maybe I unintentionally changed one of the
> defaults. (I think the default is supposed to be nfsv3,tcp but I'll look.)

I'm running into a similar-sounding but odd problem on a diskless NFS client
test box running 8.0, but talking to a server running 7.0:

cheetah# mount -o rw -u /
[udp] zoo:/zoo/cheetah: RPCPROG_NFS: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to
send

If I do a fresh file system mount it works fine:

cheetah# mount 192.168.5.1:/zoo /zoo
cheetah# mount
192.168.5.1:/zoo/cheetah on / (nfs, read-only)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
/dev/md0 on /var (ufs, local)
/dev/md1 on /tmp (ufs, local)
192.168.5.1:/zoo on /zoo (nfs)

This is with an approximately 26 May userspace.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge