Re: Do you use a value other than AUTO for network_interfaces?

From: David Kelly <dkelly_at_hiwaay.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 15:51:25 -0500
On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 10:30:46PM +0200, Ruben van Staveren wrote:

> On 2 Jun 2009, at 21:20, Doug Barton wrote:
>
> >Up till Sunday in 8-current, and for a long time in general
> >network.subr (part of the rc.d system) has emitted a warning that
> >values of network_interfaces other than AUTO are deprecated. I
> >removed that warning in HEAD Sunday, and there is no a discussion
> >about whether or not it should be put back, and whether or not there
> >is any need for the user to specify the list of network interfaces at
> >all.
>
> Well, I do.
>
> I only want to configure only the interfaces that are connected and
> that I know about. especially in combination with IPv6 there is a nit
> that you'll get autoconfiguration for all interfaces unless they are
> all explicitly configured.

And while I'm not currently using anything other than AUTO I would think
there is a security ramification if someone were to plug in to a
supposedly unused port, then reboot the machine to prompt AUTO to
configure their interface.

Its not just a security thing, its an "idiot-proof" thing. If someone is
moving machines around I don't want them to come up and partially work
if the wires are plugged into the wrong holes. Would rather it be
completely broken.

I think its good that there is an AUTO *option*. Is also OK that it be
the default. I don't think mandatory AUTO is good, if I want a port
disabled then I want it to stay disabled.

A quick glance of my 7.2-STABLE machine only found network_interfaces
used in /etc/defaults/rc.conf. ipv6_network_interfaces is used in many
places.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly_at_HiWAAY.net