Re: Do you use a value other than AUTO for network_interfaces?

From: Erik Osterholm <freebsd-lists-erik_at_erikosterholm.org>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 18:06:48 -0500
On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 12:20:34PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> Up till Sunday in 8-current, and for a long time in general
> network.subr (part of the rc.d system) has emitted a warning that
> values of network_interfaces other than AUTO are deprecated. I
> removed that warning in HEAD Sunday, and there is no a discussion
> about whether or not it should be put back, and whether or not there
> is any need for the user to specify the list of network interfaces
> at all.
>
> If you use a value of network_interfaces other than AUTO please
> speak up so that we can make an intelligent decision about this
> issue.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug

I'll have to preface this by disclosing that I have not been running
-current, nor following any changes to the RC system.

In 7.1, if you compile a custom kernel and comment out an interface
(such that it is compiled as a module), one way to ensure that the
module is loaded is to explicitly list it in network_interfaces.  If
-current works the same way, then users will be required to modify
/boot/loader.conf in order to load the module.  Could there could be
possible side-effects to this change, since the loading of the module
happens at a different time?

At best, users doing things the 'network_interfaces' way may be in for
a surprise when the update (remotely), and this may be worthy of a
note in UPDATING.

If this has changed in 7.2 or -current, then I apologize for the
noise!

Erik