Re: Fatal trap 12: page fault panic with recent kernel with ZFS

From: Thomas Backman <serenity_at_exscape.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 16:17:44 +0200
On May 21, 2009, at 08:31 PM, Kip Macy wrote:

>> Hey, I (not the OP) am still having trouble with this. The panics
>> appear to
>> be gone since I set arc_min to 30M and arc_max to 100M, though (2GB
>> RAM).
>> I get/got them during a full zfs send -R | zfs recv -Fvd of a
>> ~3.3GB pool.
>> The only modification I've done to the source tree is the
>> libzfs_sendrecv
>> patch here:
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2009-May/006814.html
>

> I'll apply the patch this weekend.
>
> If I get time I'll also try to reproduce your panic.
>

> Thanks,
> Kip
Two weekends later and still the same deal with send | recv. ;)
Just worried that this'll make it into 8.0-RELEASE, that's all. That
would be bad. The patch linked above seems to solve the problem for
me, anyway. I just tried a fresh build (sources from June 5th at 10AM
CEST), without the patch, and I got the same core dump on zfs recv,
with a SIGSEGV in strcmp(). (See the linked thread.) Applied the
patch, rebuild libzfs, rebooted, and it works again.

It seems something along the lines of
zfs snapshot -r tank_at_initial-snapshot
zfs send -R tank_at_initial-snapshot | zfs recv -vFd slave
and then
zfs snapshot -r tank_at_testsnap # some other, unrelated snapshot in
between may or may not be needed to crash, I'm not sure
zfs snapshot -r tank_at_second-snapshot
zfs send -R -I initial-snapshot tank_at_second-snapshot | zfs recv -Fvd
slave
causes the core dump.

Regards,
Thomas