Re: Fatal trap 12: page fault panic with recent kernel with ZFS

From: Adam McDougall <mcdouga9_at_egr.msu.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 21:22:02 -0400
On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 07:06:57PM -0500, Larry Rosenman wrote:

  On Mon, 18 May 2009, Kip Macy wrote:

  > The ARC cache allocates wired memory. The ARC will grow until there is
  > vm pressure.
  My crash this AM was with 4G real, and the ARC seemed to grow and grow, then
  we started paging, and then crashed.

  Even with the VM pressure it seemed to grow out of control.

  Ideas?

Before that but since 191902 I was having the opposite problem,
my ARC and thus Wired would grow up to approx arc_max until my
Inactive memory put pressure on ARC making it shrink back down
to ~450M where some aspects of performance degraded.  A partial
workaround was to add a arc_min which isn't entirely successful
and I found I could restore ZFS performance by temporarily squeezing
down Inactive memory by allocating a bunch of it myself; after
freeing that, ARC had no pressure and could grow towards arc_max
again until Inactive eventually rose.  Reported to Kip last night
and some cvs commit lists.  I never did run into Swap.