Re: Clang: now available from a SVN server near you!

From: Kai Wang <kaiwang27_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 07:25:55 +0200
On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 09:06:29AM -0700, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> Erik Cederstrand wrote:
> >
> > LLVM provides a linker (http://llvm.org/cmds/llvm-ld.html) but "it
> > doesn't interact correctly with conventional nm/ar/etc"
> > (http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/cfe-dev/2009-June/005296.html).
>
> In what way does it not interact correctly?

llvm-ar manual page:
	http://llvm.org/cmds/llvm-ar.html

I think the major difference is that llvm-ar is aimed for bitcode (.bc)
files, same as other llvm-xxx tools. (for example, llvm-ld)

Other that that, llvm-ar uses a different symbol table, a different
compression solution. (llvm-ar compresses each member separately, not
the entire archive, this is probably better wrt random access of
members?).  llvm-ar also has a handy -R option which we should
probably add to our ar(1).

And from what I read in the wiki, it looks like llvm-ld can be used as
long as --emit-llvm is specified when compiling?

-Kai