Re: RFT: Allow large values of NGROUPS_MAX

From: David Schultz <das_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 14:51:22 -0400
On Fri, Jun 05, 2009, Brooks Davis wrote:
>  - Should we make any attempt to support old binaries when there
>    are more than 16 groups?  The POSIX getgroups/setgroups APIs did not
>    anticipate this change and thus either will fail outright.  We can't
>    fix setgroups, but we might want to make an optional accommodation for
>    getgroups to allow for truncated returns to old code.

Awesome.  I think the ABI breakage is fine as long as it only
affects systems where users are actually in more than 16 groups.
It's perfectly reasonable to expect people to recompile in order
to take advantage of a new feature.

As for the value of NGROUPS_MAX, there are systems with more than
32k groups out there, but I doubt there are interesting cases
where a single user is a member of more than 32k groups.  The
permission checking code would not realistically scale to group
lists that long anyway.