Re: KDE4 on FreeBSD (was: KDE4 and input events)

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 11:33:19 -0700
Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> During the last couple of weeks I've seen several posts about input
> devices freezing. I'm not sure if I have a solution for it, but it seems
> like there is a software bug there.
>
> Starting up kde4 as a non-root user leaded to the following strange
> situation:
>
> kded4 (KDE 4.2.4) was constanly waiting on "select" using 30% CPU while
> one zombie process was present.
>
> Solution: killall -kill kded4
>
> After that my system was behaving normal.
>
> I was not able to figure out if this is a kernel race or userland race.

I have hit numerous kde4 issues on head.  Ever since upgrading from kde3
the akonadi server will not startup and I've not figured out why (best
guess is it's failing to register w/ dbus but could also be
mysql-related).  apps randomly go into a "hard run" for extended periods
of time (especially thunderbird).  firefox3 does not work (best guess
was a dns problem) but konqueror does (firefox2 works better but the
google search box  is inoperative--perhaps same dns issue).  And lots of
other stuff.

I'm too busy w/ other stuff to chase issues but would work with someone
familiar w/ kde4 to diagnose.

FWIW this is a dual-amd64 install that used to work fine w/ kde3.

    Sam