Re: sysinstall, GJOURNAL and ZFS

From: Vincent Hoffman <vince_at_unsane.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 16:50:52 +0100
On 9/6/09 15:57, Dan Naumov wrote:
>> UFS2+SoftUpdates works fine on properly configured UFS2 - and very fast.
>>
> Yes, UFS2+SoftUpdates is very fast, however, in the case of a power
> loss or having to pull the plug on a locked up system, it has a
> noticeably higher chance of leaving you with an unbootable system than
> if you were using Linux with ext3/ext4 or Windows with NTFS.

Interestingly in my experience its been the opposite, I've lost a few
ext3 filesystems though bad power, same for NTFS (NT4, less so with
200x) but as yet never for ufs2 (fsck has always fixed it.)

That said, there have been a few projects to update/replace/whatever
sysinstall, look at the desktopBSD installer (bsdinstaller) and
finstall. I'm not sure what the status of either of these 2 are though.

Vince