Re: sysinstall, GJOURNAL and ZFS

From: Dan Naumov <dan.naumov_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 20:36:33 +0300
I know some might dismiss my personal experience as "anecdotal", but
yes I have had that happen to me twice. Some googling will show that I
am not the only one to ever experience fatal UFS+softupdates failures.
I even ran into a page from 2006 (I think), where a fellow wrote some
code which would write data to an UFS2 partition that would
consistently cause fsck to fail. This actually brings up to another
related point, having to actually deal with fsck. On
filesystems/volumes of today, which can easily span 10tb+ in a
production environment, having to deal with fsck times is a complete
no-go.

One could of course argue that environments where 10tb+ volumes are
used right now are special cases, where the administrator would know
of these issues and take appropriate measures to deal with it (UPS,
custom installation with gjournal, ZFS, etc), my point still stands.
Right now, anyone can walk into a computer store and purchase a
consumer 1,5tb or 2tb drive. Have you tried running fsck on a 2tb
filesystem? It's not fun. And this will only get worse with time as
drive sizes continue to grow.

- Dan Naumov