Re: suspect bug in vge(4)

From: Thomas Lotterer <thomas+freebsd_at_lotterer.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 14:50:28 +0200
>>> http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/vge/if_vgereg.h
>>> http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/vge/if_vgevar.h
>>>
>> These files contain a CVS Id dating them 2007-11-22 while CURRENT has
>> 2009-05-30.
>
> You can ignore the date.

I tried these driver files.

 From a user/admin perspective, they do not work at all. No Network
link, no traffic at all.

 From a developers perspective, things look promising:

vge0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
options=389b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_UCAST,WOL_MCAST,WOL_MAGIC>
         ether 00:40:63:xx:xx:xx
         inet [...]
         media: Ethernet autoselect

New WOL options are a proof the new driver is loaded. It detects the NIC
and reads the correct Ethernet MAC address. The media indicator shows
what's reality - no link.

In /var/log/messages I found continuously repeating patterns of

vge0: link state changed to UP
vge0: watchdog timeout
vge0: unable to stop Rx/Tx MAC(0x09)!
vge0: soft reset timed out
vge0: link state changed to DOWN

Attempting to manually bring the interface down and back up did not
change anything. In fact, it seems to me that the command did not make
it to the hardware. Usually, the link indicators on the NIC and switch
cycle off/on but this time no flickering at all.
--
http://thomas.lotterer.net