Re: RFC: C version of devd daemon.

From: Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 11:57:38 +0200
* Carlos A. M. dos Santos <unixmania_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> That's a different story. Reading man pages is not a functional
> requirement, depending on the point of view. A system *can* run fine
> even without manual pages (and the corresponding reader/formatter)
> installed.

And a typical FreeBSD webserver won't be affected by devd not being
installed. I read a lot of manpages, but I think I've only changed devd
related config files once or twice in my entire life. But we're drifting
off.

Rewriting devd in C, just because Clang doesn't support C++, is not a
good argument. Clang itself is also written in C++. Even I (the
maintainer of the clangbsd branch in SVN) think that a compiler that is
not able to bootstrap itself cannot be considered a serious replacement
for GCC at this time.

--
 Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/