Re: sysinstall, GJOURNAL and ZFS

From: Scott Ullrich <sullrich_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 15:47:01 -0400
On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Dan Naumov<dan.naumov_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> As promised, I took a go at this new BSDInstaller, I wrote down some
> of my thoughts. Since I don't know if this is the kind of feedback you
> are looking for, here is just a part of it. As you can probably guess
> from it, I deal with usability issues in software applications a lot,
> hence my point of view, but obviously I can find my way around a UNIX
> without much issues.

Thanks!!

> FreeBSD-20090608-1522-8.0-CURRENT image was used:
> Initial BOOT:
> The boot goes as planned, but the user is dropped off to a login
> prompt. There is no direct indication for the user regarding how to
> proceed. Adding a note just before the login prompt saying something
> like "login as "root" with an empty password" would be nice. Again, as
> soon the user does log on, there is no indication as to how to launch
> the actual installer. This, as well as the previous problem could be
> solved by presenting the user with a simple menu screen, like this:
>
> Welcome to FreeBSD, choose your option:
> 1: Launch the FreeBSD installer
> 2: Drop to an emergency rescue shell

That is one part that I have not touched on as of yet.  DragonFly has
a "installer" account that launches the BSDI but I am not too sure if
thats how we should visit this or not?

> This would eleminate the actual need to log in as well, we could just
> autologin as root for both options.
>
> Initial options in the actual installer:
> <Change Video Font> option: the names in a long list don't actually
> tell the user anything regarding how does any of the fonts look. Would
> it be possible to have a small sample preview next to each presented
> font option?
> <Change Screen Map> option: again, the screen map options do not
> really explain the user what he should be choosing. A short
> description of every option is needed at the very least.
> <Change Keymap> option: ditto, same thing.

Good ideas.  Any chance you can add them to the wiki?

> Another approach to this altogether could be a serious of questions
> like: "What country do you live in? What language is your keyboard?"
> providing multiple options for an answer for each question. After a
> series of questions, the installer could just automatically pick up
> most sane defaults based on the answers given by the user and finally
> ask "Does the fonts on the screen look alright to you? Try typing in
> here, do the expect characters appear as they should?" and if the user
> is unsatisfied, he can be dropped to the kinds of a big selection list
> which is used by the installer right now.
>
> <Select Kernel Module to Load: Again, each option needs at least a
> short description, a lot of the kernel module names are cryptic and a
> new user cannot be reasonably expected to evaluate and make an
> informed decision regarding what he does want and what he doesn't
> based on a simple file list of the modules.

Also a good idea and should be relatively easy if we can pull the
short description dynamically somehow vs. hard coding it?

> <Begin Installation> screen: The screen states that in order to do a
> manual installation "<SNIP> login as root, and follow the instructions
> given in the file /README". There is no indication regarding how the
> user is supposed to open the README file, at least ONE sane option
> should be suggested (for example: login as root and type "vi README"
> at the command prompt to read the instructions regarding installing
> FreeBSD manually.

This is leftover and also needs to be addressed.   So far I have
focused on getting the BSDI ported to FreeBSD and to remove the
"pfSense'sms" that where present.

Really appreciate all of the advice but I am hoping that it does not
get lost.   Do you mind helping me update the Wiki with your
suggestions?   Maybe add a usability improvements section.   If not I
can get it updated later this weekend.

Also I am working on getting 7-STABLE snapshots together and embedded
images suitable for compact flash cards ala DD/physdiskwrite.exe.

Scott