Re: GPT boot with ZFS RAIDZ "ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable"

From: Thomas Backman <serenity_at_exscape.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:29:28 +0200
On Jun 26, 2009, at 05:37 AM, Jonathan wrote:

> I've tried so many things today I don't even remember them all but I
> will try to make the list as complete as I can.
>
> I recently purchased a new server with 3 450GB SAS drives on an mfi
> controller and 2 Xeon 5550 processors.  I'm trying to install
> FreeBSD current with a ZFS RAIDZ pool booting from GPT.
>
> I have a USB drive booting ZFS based on the 200905 current
> snapshot.  I downloaded the latest svn source and built it.
> LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT=YES was set for the build.
>
> Once the build was complete I did the following to create and
> populate the pool on the 3 SAS drives while booted from the USB drive:
>
> gpart create -s GPT mfid[0-2]
> gpart show mfid0 # to get sector count
> gpart add -b 34 -s 128 -t freebsd-boot mfid[0-2]
> gpart add -b 162 -s 876,951,323 -t freebsd-zfs mfid[0-2]
>
> gpart bootcode -b /usr/obj/amd64/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/pmbr/pmbr -p /
> usr/obj/amd64/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/gptzfsboot/gptzfsboot -i 1
> mfid[0-2]
>
> zpool create serenity raidz /dev/mfid[0-2]p2
>
> make installworld TARGET=amd64 DESTDIR=/serenity
> make installkernel TARGET=amd64 DESTDIR=/serenity
> mergemaster -D /serenity/etc/ -i
>
> created an empty fstab
> copied /boot/zfs/zpool.cache to the new pool
>
> I did not export the pool as some searching showed that this will
> cause the boot to fail.
>
> I currently seem to be having 2 issues.  One is that I get several
> screenfulls of "error 1 lba xxx" with numbers like 4292179434 and
> 4292179446.  Similar errors were reported here http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2008-December/005511.html
>  but I did not find anything in that thread that worked for me.  The
> error message itself comes from here http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/head/sys/boot/i386/gptboot/gptboot.c?revision=181436&view=markup
>
> The loader then proceeds to load the kernel, opensolaris, and zfs
> modules.  Right before the displaying the loader menu it shows the
> message "ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable" which comes
> from here http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/head/sys/boot/zfs/zfsimpl.c?revision=192194&view=markup
>
> If I continue from the loader screen the kernel loads and
> initializes and fails with
> "Trying to mount root from zfs:serenity
> ROOT MOUNT ERROR:
> If you have invalid"...
>
> "Loader variables:
> vfs.root.mountfrom=zfs:serenity
> zfs.root.mountfrom.options="
>
> At this point I can't do anything because the USB keyboard does not
> respond and the system has no PS/2 ports.
>
> I'd love to get this working and any help is much appreciated.  I
> still have the USB drive booting the 200905 snapshot and the livefs
> DVD snapshot available.
>
> Thanks,
> Jonathan
>
> P.S. if someone wants to do some testing on a 16 core machine with
> 6GB of RAM please let me know.  I have a week or so to play with the
> machine.
I have the same problem with the LBA stuff etc: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2009-May/007450.html
I was using the current sources at the date I posted though, and not
the older snapshot (which, at least at the time, didn't have RAIDZ
boot support).

I never got to mounting any root FS, though, it never let me load the
kernel.

Regards,
Thomas

PS. Nice pool name. ;)