Re: recent boot0 changes dropped a partition type?

From: Luigi Rizzo <rizzo_at_iet.unipi.it>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 20:11:05 +0200
On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 01:20:13PM +0200, Aragon Gouveia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently installed 8.0 from the June snapshot ISO.  I noticed that the
> new boot0 code has had partition type 0xc removed as a recognised
> partition type.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/boot/i386/boot0/boot0.S.diff?r1=1.21;r2=1.22;f=h
>
> That ID is used by FAT32 partitions so in my case I'm getting a "?" on
> my Windows partition.  If it was removed to save space, I think 0xb
> would be more appropriate for removal - it is the non-LBA equivalent of
> 0xc and I don't think any modern Windows partitioner sets it anymore.

yes it was removed to save space, i am more than happy to replace 0xb
with 0xc if the latter turns out to be more popular.

So far we have the following (all the rest is basically commented
out because we need space for other stuff):

	131	linux
	165	FreeBSD
	166	[Open]BSD
	169	[Net]BSD
	6	Win [FAT16 >= 32MB]
	7	Win [NTFS]
	11	Win [FAT32]

Suggestions for replacements are welcome

cheers
luigi