Re: 7.2-stable upgrade changes disknames

From: Aisaka Taiga <spambox_at_haruhiism.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:27:22 +0400
Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> On 7.2 this used to work(tm), on 8.0 boot start complaining.
> So somewhere a (unwanted) flexibility got deleted
> And I have to manually fix my /etc/fstab to what is factual correct.
> And that was what my message was about:
>     It can/will(??) bite a lot more users.
> With similar remarks and/or questions.
To be honest, I'm quite amused that it actually worked for you, because
if you use a dangerously dedicated disk you, basically, don't need a
partition table at all as the slice 'table' (bsdlabel) takes care of
everything. And if there's no partition table, there can be no adXs1a
boot device - even in 7.2.
If you got your fstab from sysinstall, I don't really know how did you
manage to migrate to a DDD without modifying fstab, because sysinstall
has no clue about the existence of DDDs. To get a system running on a
DDD you would basically need to install BTX (using fdisk), label the
drive with bsdlabel, and then dump/restore or tar c | tar x the filesystems.
But according to you, until -CURRENT you had a working partition table
(hence adXs1a working). And make installworld should never bother with
partition tables.
(This is really weird.)

--
Kamigishi Rei