Re: New builds won't boot (fwd)

From: Gary Jennejohn <gary.jennejohn_at_freenet.de>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:35:44 +0200
On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 03:36:02 +0100 (BST)
Chris Hedley <freebsd-current_at_chrishedley.com> wrote:

> But it did give me an opportunity to spot something weird which I hadn't
> noticed before, which is the device numbering: instead of getting the
> usual ad0-ad9 for my discs, the numbering was a bit peculiar, ad4, ad6 and
> so on, as if it were enumerating them according to each logical slot
> rather than doing them by discs as they're found.

It does seem to number based on slot, whereby the driver for some reason
acts as though SATA has master/slave disks, which of course it doesn't.

You can get back to the old behavior by putting "options ATA_STATIC_ID"
into your kernel config file.

---
Gary Jennejohn