Re: The rc.d mess strikes back

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 20:08:00 -0800
M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <E39D3873-3F36-467A-B225-347A088B68F9_at_gmail.com>
>             Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd_at_gmail.com> writes:
> : On Mar 1, 2009, at 7:36 PM, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> :
> : > On Mar 1, 2009, at 7:20 PM, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> : >
> : >> On Mar 1, 2009, at 6:36 PM, Sam Leffler wrote:
> : >>
> : >>> Garrett Cooper wrote:
> : >>>> device        ums        # Mouse
> : >>>
> : >>> This is why you cannot kldload.  Not sure about any functional
> : >>> regression.
> : >>>
> : >>> Sam
> : >>
> : >> 	Yeah, well that message was printed out by another process
> : >> altogether while loading up the kernel after the ata subsystem was
> : >> brought up, so something's getting confused and trying to kldload
> : >> by accident... I was just reproducing the message.
> : >> 	I'll provide more data to prove this claim when I can.
> : >> Thanks,
> : >> -Garrett
> : >
> : > 	Here's the picture from my iPhone: <http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn159/yaneurabeya/?action=view&current=IMG_0032.png
> : > >. I OBVIOUSLY didn't do the kldload... and because my /boot/
> : > loader.conf doesn't contain ums_load="YES", I'm really curious who
> : > the actual culprit is in rc.d land...
> : > 	I used to do WITHOUT_MODULES=* to not build modules, but I'm trying
> : > to move away from that mentality for some things like snd_emu10kx,
> : > but obviously there's a conflict somewhere for ums; hopefully it's
> : > merely cosmetic...
> : > Thanks,
> : > -Garrett
> :
> : 	Ok, found the culprit. It turns out moused is being called from
> : devd... this is all probably related to the startup mess I reported 2
> : weeks ago with my NIC. I'm seeing a lot of additional problems in
> : terms of keeping track of daemons; for instance syslogd is getting
> : started up twice, but the first instance isn't recording a PID and the
> : second one is dying because the first one is bound to the address.
> : Agh...
>
> I didn't think that moused loaded anything.
>
> And what do extra nics have to do with this?  I think you are
> confusing multiple problems...
>
> : 	Could we just unwind this rc.d mess? It seems to be causing issues
> : and wasn't very thoroughly tested before commit.
>
> This is a little to vague to be actionable.  Do you have specific
> instances?  Do you have rcorder output?  Etc...

I saw a similar problem today; if I have a wireless nic setup with

ifconfig_ath0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"

then two instances of wpa_supplicant are launched when I do

/etc/rc.d/netif start ath0

(you get log msgs from wpa_supplicant about not being able to setup the
/var/run/wpa_supplicant/wlan0 unix domain socket).  Wasn't able to pin
it down but it's likely the same issue.

    Sam