Re: Backporting of Heimdal 1.1 to 7.*

From: Gunnar Flygt <flygt_at_sr.se>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 09:57:35 +0100
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 03:48:49PM -0500, Rick Macklem wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, Graham Todd wrote:
>
> >Gunnar Flygt wrote:
> >>Is there any possibility that heimdal 1.1 that works beautifully in
> >>Current will be backported to FreeBSD-7.x?
> >
> >What if the port was updated to 1.1 to match base in CURRENT or to 1.2.1
> >for testing? :-)  Upstream heimdal is at 1.2.1 but I think there is some
> >pthread trickiness involved in getting it to compile (does anyone know
> >what is missing there?) For 1.1 you can change the values in the distinfo
> >and Makefile in the current port (which is at 1.0.1) and build a new 1.1
> >package to use on 7.*. The rc script from the version in ports could use
> >modernizing to make more use of rc.subr magic, but things seem to work.
> >
> [good stuff snipped]
>
> I don't know if this will help or muddy the waters, but... The kerberos
> code in FreeBSD-CURRENT isn't Heimdal 1.1, but is code derived from it
> by Doug Rabson, I believe. (So, backporting kerberos from -current isn't
> the same thing as using Heimdal-1.1 on FreeBSD7.)
>
> I have built vanilla Heimdal-1.1 on FreeBSD7 and used it without
> difficulty, but I never re-linked any system binaries, I just used
> Heimdal-1.1 for my gssd. So I don't know what issues might be encountered
> re-linking FreeBSD7 sources against Heimdal-1.1. (Heimdal-1.2 fails to
> build, because it wants -lpthread added to some linkage, I vaguely
> recall.)
>
> As I said, don't know if this helps, rick

My point was only, to be lazy. I compile 1.1 on every new machine I
install, and rebuild ssh after that. It was this later step that isn't
needed in the current tree. One annoying thing though is that ksu
doesn't work in the 8-current, but it works fine in my own compiled
1.1's (as su then of course).

So I'll stick to my own compiled Heimdal's then. Sorry for the noice.

Gunnar