Re: Subversion dies on pkill checkout

From: Michael David Crawford <mdc_at_prgmr.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 03:03:24 -0700

Ed Schouten wrote:
> I guess this is yet another issue we're having with checking out our
> source tree on case insensitive file systems.

That was it!  I should have guessed - it's bitten me before. [*]

The workaround - again this is on Mac OS X - is to use Disk Utility to
create a big enough disk image file, then after it has been initialized,
reformat it with a case-sensitive filesystem.

One has the choice of the Unix Filesystem or case-sensitive HFS+.  HFS+
is case-insensitive by default; I think the case-sensitive option is
only available in recent OS X versions.

I was able to do a full Subversion checkout onto the case-sensitive
disk-image filesystem without any further trouble.

> I squashed some of these
> bugs some time ago, but I never got around fixing all of them. :-(

Given that Mac OS X draws heavily on FreeBSD, and OS X' filesystem is
case-insensitive by default, would it be helpful if I tracked them all
down and submitted patches that would fix them all?

It shouldn't be hard to write a script that detects files and
directories whose names differ only in case.

[*] libwww-perl installs a program called /usr/bin/HEAD that clobbers
/usr/bin/head on Mac OS X.  Hilarity will ensue months or even years
later when some arcane build script tries to use head but gets HEAD's
behavior instead.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdc_at_prgmr.com

    prgmr.com - We Don't Assume You Are Stupid.

       Xen-Powered Virtual Private Servers: http://prgmr.com/xen