Re: Subversion dies on pkill checkout

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 09:38:44 +0000 (GMT)
On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Michael David Crawford wrote:

> Greetings, I just subscribed.  I'm an experienced coder, but very much a
> newbie with FreeBSD.  This is the first of what will likely be many
> questions. :-D
>
> When I try to do an svn co of head, or if I do an svn update from the head
> directory after doing the checkout, I get the following error:
>
> A    tools/regression/usr.bin/pkill/pkill-t.t
> svn: In directory 'tools/regression/usr.bin/pkill'
> svn: Can't move source to dest
> svn: Can't move
> 'tools/regression/usr.bin/pkill/.svn/tmp/prop-base/pgrep-s.t.svn-base' to
> 'tools/regression/usr.bin/pkill/.svn/prop-base/pgrep-s.t.svn-base': No such
> file or directory
>
> I'm not sure if this is a problem in the repository or with my build of
> Subversion.  I'm using Subversion 1.5.4.
>
> I'm doing this checkout on a Macintosh laptop running Mac OS X 10.4.11.  I
> just wanted to have the FreeBSD source tree on my laptop so I could browse
> the sources, not to actually build them - I'll be doing my actual FreeBSD
> development on a Xeon PC.
>
> Here is the command line I used for my anonymous checkout:
>
> $ svn co http://svn.freebsd.org/base/head
>
> Thanks for any advice you can give me.

subversion isn't sure how to deal with colliding filenames from a
case-sensitive repository being checked out onto a case-insensitive client.
This is arguably a bug in the FreeBSD repository since it is desirable for
people to be able to check out our tree on Mac OS X, etc.  Interestingly, it
also triggers real bugs in the svn client -- when I tried to clean up after
the aborted checkout on my Mac OS X notebook, I got:

robert_at_cinnamon:~/freebsd% svn cleanup head/
svn: In directory 'head/tools/regression/usr.bin/pkill'
svn: Error processing command 'modify-wcprop' in
'head/tools/regression/usr.bin/pkill'
svn: 'head/tools/regression/usr.bin/pkill/pkill-U.t' is not under version
control

rm -Rf on the pkill subtree appeared to help :-).  I've corrected that
instances of name collisions and am now attempting to check out the remainder
of the tree, and will follow up if I have to correct further problems.

In general, you should be able to create a disk image on Mac OS X that *is*
case-sensitive, using Disk Utility, and check out there without a problem.
Currently we do not support cross-build form Mac OS X, so most people
developing on Mac OS X are using VMWare Fusion or some other
emulator/virtualization package.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge