ZFS/extattr lockup (was Re: bsdtar lockup on Current-03/10/2009)

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 21:35:37 -0700
John Nielsen wrote:

> I today noticed the same problem on -CURRENT i386 built March 9.
> ...  using ZFS and initially
> thought that was the source of the regression but I haven't produced the
> lockup with anything but tar and the extattr removal hack seems to have
> fixed it for now ...

The common element so far seems to be ZFS.  Can you verify that

   $ lsextattr -h user <filename>

hangs on your system as well?  That invokes the same
extattr_list_link system call used by tar to enumerate
the extended attributes on a file.

The recent updates to tar made it one of the first really
common utilities to support extended attributes so I
wouldn't be at all surprised if this had been broken for
some time.

Tim