Re: bsdtar lockup on Current-03/10/2009

From: John Nielsen <lists_at_jnielsen.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 23:10:32 -0400
On Tuesday 10 March 2009 04:16:09 pm Anonymous wrote:
> Paul Wootton <paul_at_fletchermoorland.co.uk> writes:
> > Im also using ZFS and have the same problems as Peg when trying to
> > create a tar file.
> > This is using Current as of last yesterday (09-mar-09).
>
> I'm not sure but in my case ktrace shows extattr_list_link() before the
> lockup. So, for a workaround I disabled extattr support in libarchive.
> Can you verify that this helps you, too?

I today noticed the same problem on -CURRENT i386 built March 9.
Immediately before my last buildworld (running sources from a couple
months ago probably) I didn't have any lockups and portupgrade was
working fine. Now portupgrade-invoked tar put the system into something
like livelock--tar unresponsive at %100 cpu, kill -9 ineffective,
sometimes other processes unresponsive, reboot hangs before completing
and a reset or power-cycle is required. I am using ZFS and initially
thought that was the source of the regression but I haven't produced the
lockup with anything but tar and the extattr removal hack seems to have
fixed it fow now (though I'm sure there's a better fix out there..).

Thanks and let me know if I can provide additional details or testing.

JN