Re: repeatable ZFS panic: share->excl

From: Mark Powell <M.S.Powell_at_salford.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 22:23:09 +0000 (GMT)
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009, Tim Kientzle wrote:

> I think this may be a different problem. The earlier thread involved a
> ZFS bug that causes it to lock up if it receives a request to enumerate
> extended attributes on a file (via extattr_list_link system call).  Tar
> recently added support for backing up extended attributes.  I've
> disabled that support until this particular ZFS problem can be fixed.

I just rebuilt world on one box and the problem went away. Your fix I
assume?

> However, pkg_add uses tar to extract archives, not create them, so this
> is not the same problem.  I haven't disabled tar support for restoring
> extended attributes, but no existing packages should have extended
> attributes to be restored, so I doubt this is the same issue.
>
> 1) Do you get the same symptoms on UFS?

No problems on UFS.

> 2) Is this on extraction or just create?

The problem occurs with just tar create. I'm not sure why pkg_add provokes
it.

> 3) Can you run tar under "ktrace" and figure out what system call is
> provoking the problem?

I'm not sure how I could dump the ktrace.out after a panic.
   A truss of a tar create on a zfs volume shows the last call to be:

__acl_get_file(...) ERR#45 'Operation not supported'
shared lock of (lockmgr) zfs _at_ /usr/src/sys/kern/vfs_lookup.c:442

   Cheers.

--
Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - The University of Salford
Information & Learning Services, Clifford Whitworth Building,