Re: repeatable ZFS panic: share->excl

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 13:52:39 -0700
Peter Schuller wrote:
>>   First problem I notice is a panic, which seems to occur every time 'tar'
>>is used. Might be unrelated to tar, but it definately provokes it. Simply
>>the tar command or a pkg_add causes it.
>
> See the "ZFS/extattr lockup"/"bsdtar lockup on current" threads from
> the past handful of days.

I think this may be a different problem.
The earlier thread involved a ZFS bug that causes
it to lock up if it receives a request to enumerate
extended attributes on a file (via extattr_list_link
system call).  Tar recently added support for
backing up extended attributes.  I've disabled
that support until this particular ZFS problem can
be fixed.

However, pkg_add uses tar to extract archives,
not create them, so this is not the same
problem.  I haven't disabled tar support for
restoring extended attributes, but no
existing packages should have extended attributes
to be restored, so I doubt this is the same issue.

1) Do you get the same symptoms on UFS?

2) Is this on extraction or just create?

3) Can you run tar under "ktrace" and
figure out what system call is provoking
the problem?

Tim