Re: [HEADS UP] Radeon r6/7xx drm code to be committed

From: Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 17:09:07 -0500
On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 20:25 +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:
> Kip Macy wrote:
> > I have an HD4850 and it works well. Unfortunately it is the one from
> > ASUS where only one port does dual-link.
> >
> > -Kip

> >> I'm planning to move from nVidia to ATi, and all this work is what makes
> >> me do that. This code you're talking about, would benefit a HD4850 ?
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >>
> >> matheus
> >>
> >> --
> >> We will call you cygnus,
> >> The God of balance you shall be

> I use a MSI HD4830 on a UP FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT/amd64 box with
>
> Driver   "radeon"
>
> from ports/xorg-7.4. Without EXA and DRI the graphics card works well,
> but when enabling EXA and/or DRI, system goes mustang. Ctrl-Alt-FX
> doesn't bring back a console, the tty is 'blinking' as it looks like the
> X server tries to start and fails.
>
> On another box, running FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT/amd64, but SMP and MSI
> HD4670, with EXA and DRI enabled the whole box crashes immediately when
> therefore ending the Xserver kills the box, the OS dies and coredumps or
> hangs forever with a tiled screen showing 3 rows of 6 columns of the
> console screen on a 20,1 inch TFT.

So, the first thing I would try is disabling msi.  I added a tuneable to
do so.  MSI has had a lot of testing on radeon.  I've been working on
nouveau for the last week, so I'll get back to looking at radeon soon.
I have found a couple of bugs that I need to fix while working on
nouveau that might effect radeon as well.

robert.