Re: Is iwn drivers working on Current ?

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 22:03:31 -0700
David Horn wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 5:16 PM, Olivier Cochard-Labbé
> <olivier_at_freenas.org> wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>>> Questions to help see if you are seeing the same problem:
>>>
>>> 1)  Do you have ipv6_enabled="yes" in rc.conf ?
>> Yes, if I comment this line and reboot, my new error messages are still:
>>
>> iwn0: error, INTR=2000000<SW_ERROR> STATUS=0x0
>> iwn0: iwn_config: configure command failed, error 35
>> iwn0: iwn_init_locked: could not configure device, error 35
>> iwn0: iwn_config: configure command failed, error 35
>> iwn0: iwn_init_locked: could not configure device, error 35
>>

> Since you disabled ipv6, and still have the issue, then ipv6/rtsol
> accessing iwn0 instead of wlan0 is not the issue for your instance.
>
> I just replicated your problem with a new set of rc.conf variables on
> iwn0 including:
>
> ifconfig_wlan0="country US WPA DHCP" instead of my default:
> ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP".   I will dig a bit further and see if I can
> understand any reason for the country ifconfig setting to cause this
> issue (error 35 at boot), but it smells like a bug to me.
>
> Will your wireless card function for you without the "country FR" setting ?
> Give it a try regardless of functionality, just to see if the error 35
> goes away.
>
> I also notice that attempting to set the country parameter on the
> wlanX device after the interface is marked "UP" results in an error
> message of SIOCS80211: Device busy
>
> In any case, I suggest that it is time to file a PR.

Check the channel list for "country US" against the regulatory enforced
by the firmware; if it's mismatched then this might result in net80211
trying to visit a channel disallowed by fw.  iwn doesn't do anything
special to handle regulatory changes.  By default net80211 will setup a
fixed set of channels and then only allow the list to be reduced.  It
may be necessary for the driver to construct an initial channel list
based on the eeprom contents.  I know the linux folks have had a hard
time trying to reconcile Intel's notions of regulatory with their CRDA
stuff (similar to what net80211 provides).

	Sam