Re: linux 3d applications keep crashing

From: Michal Varga <varga.michal_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 13:08:33 +0100
On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Roman Divacky <rdivacky_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> from my experience the nvidia driver does not work at all.. it used to work
> in 6.x times with linuxulator but recently all I got from it was panic
> or deadlock (depending on weather)

Doesn't work at all.. when? I guess you meant that "linux OpenGL
portion of nvidia-driver doesn't work with
compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16", because otherwise the statement
doesn't make any sense. nvidia-drivers work perfectly well with
compat.linux.osrelease=2.4.2 (maybe not with some very recent
-CURRENT, haven't been checking for a while, but that's not the point
anyway) and actually are the only way to get any serious 3d gaming
done on FreeBSD, and I'm not even starting with OpenGL apps like
Blender (ATI users know what I'm pointing to).

This is a clear bug in 2.6 linuxulator - the OpenGL works properly in
Linux 2.4/2.6 (well, that's kinda expected), it works properly in 2.4
linuxulator, it breaks with 2.6 linuxulator. I think it's hard to call
that "nvidia driver doesn't work at all", but maybe I just missed the
point somewhere and earned a *whoosh*..

> there's an ongoing work on nouveau, so stay tuned :)

Yes, that will take many years to complete, or at least, produce a
rotating cube or maybe, maybe run glxgears in around 2012.

m.