Re: Apparently spurious ZFS CRC errors (was Re: ZFS data error without reasons)

From: Bernd Walter <ticso_at_cicely7.cicely.de>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 16:29:40 +0100
On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 03:21:28PM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting Mark Powell <M.S.Powell_at_salford.ac.uk> (from Wed, 25 Mar 2009
> 13:49:07 +0000 (GMT)):
>
> >On Wed, 25 Mar 2009, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>
> >>NCQ is not supported yet in FreeBSD. Alexander Motin said he is
> >>interested in implementing it, but I don't know about the status of
> >>this.
> >
> >Ok. So vfs.zfs.vdev.max_pending is irrelevant for SATA currently?
> >  Cheers.
>
> Either that or it needs to be lowered. I don't know.

I wouldn't be surprised if the problem is in the drive firmware.
Preread and wc both have the potential to put a lot load to the drives
and can trigger bugs that otherwise wouldn't matter.
I also have a system running WD drives and ECC RAM which show CRC errors
from time to time, while all other systems have no CRC problem at all.

--
B.Walter <bernd_at_bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de