Re: Apparently spurious ZFS CRC errors (was Re: ZFS data error without reasons)

From: Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 21:13:03 +1100
On 2009-Mar-25 16:29:40 +0100, Bernd Walter <ticso_at_cicely7.cicely.de> wrote:
>I wouldn't be surprised if the problem is in the drive firmware.
>Preread and wc both have the potential to put a lot load to the drives
>and can trigger bugs that otherwise wouldn't matter.

I'll second this.  Whilst stress-testing ZFS, I've managed to wedge a
Samsung drive to the point where it needed a power-cycle to recover
(HD103UJ 1AA01112 if anyone wants to know what to avoid).

>I also have a system running WD drives and ECC RAM which show CRC errors
>from time to time, while all other systems have no CRC problem at all.

It may also be an interaction between the controller and drives due to
slightly different interpretation of the ATA spec (or corner-cutting).

--
Peter Jeremy