Re: Telnet root login

From: Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:19:51 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Wed, 3/25/09, Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
> Subject: Re: Telnet root login
> To: "Barney Cordoba" <barney_cordoba_at_yahoo.com>
> Cc: mail25_at_bzerk.org, current_at_freebsd.org
> Date: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 10:17 PM
> On Wed, 25 Mar 2009, Barney Cordoba wrote:
>
> >> morninglightmountain# grep secure /etc/ttys|grep
> pts
> >> pts/0   none                    network secure
> >
> > What tty does it say you are on? You may have the
> older stuff.
> >
> > That setup does not work for me. It was the first
> thing I tried.
> >
> > I'm running 800070
>
> On my easily on-hand 800060 box, the secure flag on
> pts/0.../10 appeared to
> work as expected: with 'secure', I was able to log
> in as root using telnet
> from localhost; with it removed, I wasn't.  I'll
> upgrade userspace
> tonight/overnight and see if it works with a more recent
> userspace.
>
> Robert N M Watson

Ok, I have some critical info here. When I set up ttys with the proper
pts/0 setting, I can login are root using

login localhost

however when telnet in from my iMAC, it doesn't work. It also doesn't
give me the "Trying SRA secure login" from the mac. So it seems its using
a different authentication when I telnet from the MAC.

Barney