Re: still problems with intel video

From: Brandon Gooch <jamesbrandongooch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 22:39:03 -0500
On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 10:11 PM, Mattia Rossi <mrossi_at_swin.edu.au> wrote:
> Robert Noland wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 13:10 +0100, Michiel Boland wrote:
>>

>>> Hi. I still have problems with a very slow display after logging out of
>>> an X session and/or switching VTYs. The problem goes away if I add
>>> hw.pci.enable_msi=0 to /boot/loader.conf.
>>>
>>> Last csupped Mar 26 09:49 CET.
>>>
>>> System is Dell optiplex 745. Has built-in Intel Graphics Media
>>> Accelerator 950
>>>
>>> Anything I can do to help solve this problem?
>>>

>> I'm going to try and work on getting better debugging info from the
>> intel driver.  I don't have access to any newer Intel hardware at the
>> moment, so testing is tricky.
>>
>> There is a tuneable for just msi on drm hw.drm.msi.
>>
>> robert.
>>

> Yep, correct - here it is again - just had to log out of KDE, and after
> logging in again, everything was slow as hell.
> I didn't fiddle with the msi settings, just rebooted the machine, and
> everything is fine again.
> So there must be something that works the first time X is started, but upon
> restart stuffs up. Like some lock or reference which is not freed.
>
> Mat

I'm working with my system right now with the tunable
hw.pci.enable_msi=0 (set in /boot/loader.conf) and it's relieved me of
this issue for the moment -- a real fix is being researched at the
moment by Robert.

I haven't had anything break in an obvious way by setting this
tunable, but YMMV...

-Brandon